Monday, November 1, 2010

Completion of the panel joining - Part A

In the week after the Hawkesbury I didn't get much done, catching up on sleep was a little higher on the list of priorities, but got back into building the Coho again this weekend.

So I've finished joining all the panel parts on the inside of the hull and now have the hull strips in the required number of pieces. Now all I need to do to finish up this stage of the construction is to epoxy in another strip of fibreglass tape to the other side of the join to strengthen it further. Apparently with this second piece of fibreglass in place, the joins will actually be stronger than the surrounding wood.

With less fiddling around now that the joins are now held firm, reinforcing the other side is much quicker as you don't have to be so careful not to bump them during the setting of the epoxy, plus, I can glass the whole length of a panel rather than one join, wait for it to cure, then the other join (there are 2 joins per panel) so this part should be easier, plus I've got a bit of a system going and I'm a little more confident in using the fibreglass.



I also successfully sanded out the mill stamp that I'd epoxied over previously. I used some coarse grit sandpaper to get through the epoxy, and once it was gone the stamp came out of the wood quite quickly. After this, the epoxy back onto the wood just looked normal, no trace the stamp was ever there or that I'd taken some extra wood off!

I'm also having better success with the curing time of the epoxy now that the temperatures outside are now a little warmer. Joins made at night are now ready to be sanded and moved around the next night after a day to cure.

No comments:

Post a Comment