Thursday, December 9, 2010

Rain delays

With the extremely wet weather we've been having here recently I've not done much work on the Coho in the last 2 weeks. Persistent rains, thunderstorms, flooding and constantly high humidity have meant that I've been a bit hesitant to work on the boat for a couple reasons.

The first of these is that with increased humidity wood expands, and I don't want to be doing any work now that will be ruined when the dry, baking heat of the Canberra summer arrives (if it ever does) and the wood then contracts.

The second reason is that it's generally been pretty ordinary outside with the rain and wind, plus a trillion 'skeeters that seem to be procreating in my backyard seem fairly hellbent on eating me alive. Our backyard has pretty ordinary drainage due mainly to the fact that normally is never rains in Canberra and I've been nervously inspecting the shed each morning to make sure nothing has been damaged. All the ply is off the ground, but there are so many leaks in the shed roof it makes the US State Department look like... umm..... a well sealed roof? Wait, that doesn't quite work. You know what I mean - the flippin' roof leaks a lot.

I've been getting some comments that I've not been updating this blog enough (thanks AJ, Dowlo, Lukas) but it's because no work has been happening. Hence, here's a joke to keep you going until the rain stops, which should be sometime next century. It's good weather for ducks at the moment, so I thought a duck joke might be appropriate:


A duck walks into a pub and orders a schooner of beer and a ham sandwich. The barman looks at him and says, "Hey! You're a duck".

"I see your eyes are working", replies the duck.

"And you talk!" exclaims the barman.

"I see your ears are working", said the duck, "Now can I have my beer and my sandwich please?"

"Certainly", says the barman, "sorry about that, it's just we don't get many ducks in this pub. What are you doing round this way?".

"I'm working on the building site across the road", explains the duck. Then the duck drinks his beer, eats his sandwich and leaves.

This continues for weeks. Then one day the circus comes to town. The Ringleader of the circus comes into the pub and the barman says to him, "You're with the circus aren't you?, I know this duck that would be just brilliant in your circus, he talks, drinks beer and everything!".

"Sounds marvellous", says the ringleader, "get him to give me a call".

So the next day when the duck comes into the pub the barman says, "Hey Mr Duck, I reckon I can line you up with a top job, paying really good money!"

"Yeah?", says the duck, "Sounds great, where is it?"

"At the circus", says the barman.

"The circus?" the duck enquires.

"That's right", replies the barman.

"The circus?" the duck asks again.

"Yes" says the barman

"That place with the big tent?" the duck enquires.

"Yeah" the barman replies.

"With all the animals?" the duck questioned.

"Of Course" the barman replies.

"With the big canvas roof with the hole in the middle?" asks the duck.

"That's right!" says the barman.

The duck looks confused.

"What the f%$#k would they want with a plasterer?!!"

1 comment:

  1. Bad........joke. I can relate to the bad weather. Pacific Northwest- flooding and high humidity. Mine is still sitting in a box. I have no reason to start something now and not be able to finish. But better to be patient- then rush in and want to kick yourself later. Dont let a little blog pressure get to you.

    ReplyDelete